1992-10-21 - TEMPEST, Eavesdropping

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4d3c0b68b446f11f664d02d6696ac26026c7e92e0e14c93cbc6235b7eb4495c3
Message ID: <9210211711.AA11833@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9210202224.AA28714@netcom2.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1992-10-21 17:11:42 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 10:11:42 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 10:11:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: TEMPEST, Eavesdropping

>Their chief concern doesn't seem to be folks like us, but rather
>concerns about vans parking outside high tech and defense contractors
>and slurping up what they can [...]

When banks start signing with private keys, then we get an even more
interesting monitoring problem.

>And someone asked about building Faraday cages. Don't even try!

Sometimes it is cheaper to build a whole building to be tempest-spec
than to buy all tempest-spec electronics.  What I have heard about
such stuff is solid copper walls and no windows.  No exacly your
classical Faraday cage; more like your classical Gaussian surface. :->

TEMPEST is an acronym.  I don't remember for what.

Eric

Thread