1992-10-27 - Re: Alpha Particles and One Time Pads

Header Data

From: George A. Gleason <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
To: shipley@tfs.COM
Message Hash: 6a2cd4d8ce25ee9a72b0c1a7250176c6a1e558eef4d6cef56c8f2f43ad7765a2
Message ID: <199210270938.AA27715@well.sf.ca.us>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 02:39:00 PPE

Raw message

From: George A. Gleason <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 02:39:00 PPE
To: shipley@tfs.COM
Subject: Re: Alpha Particles and One Time Pads

Re Pete's proposal for an on-net random source which could be accessible to
users who would then use a psuedo-random process to select which bits to use
in compiling cypher keys:

What you'll get will be superencipherment, which is no more secure than the
links in the chain.  The random stream would be non-secure; and so we're
left with the security of the psuedo-random selection process.

To analogise somewhat, white noise put through a filter has the
characteristics of the filter.  Try it with FM static and a graphic
equaliser.

Now to play devil's advocate here, I wonder if a less-than-perfect physical
random source would be acceptable, since the potential domain of decryptions
would be large enough that unicity in cryptanalysis would in practice be
unattainable.  What do you think...?

Thread