1992-11-01 - PGP vs RSA

Header Data

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
To: MCGRATH@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
Message Hash: 6b802960a3f7f99cb978eb210063b02ebd9c1a33bf65ff4a5c4e2739df329c9f
Message ID: <9211011932.AA07699@newsu.shearson.com>
Reply To: <MAILQUEUE-101.921101152403.352@orpheus>
UTC Datetime: 1992-11-01 20:03:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Nov 92 13:03:32 PPE

Raw message

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 92 13:03:32 PPE
To: MCGRATH@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
Subject: PGP vs RSA

>From: Jim McGrath <MCGRATH@elec.canterbury.ac.nz>

>The other day someone mentioned that PGP uses a patented algorithm. If this
>is the case, then what is the difference between using it and the also
>patented RSA. From the little reading that I have done, it sounds like RSA is
>a better protocol from the point of view of authentication etc. etc.

PGP does use RSA. Obviously the "little reading" that you have done
has been little indeed.

>So, the question is, apart from the fact that PGP exists, and an RSA
>implementation is not yet available, (to the best of my limited knowledge)
>is there any reason why we shouldn't use it?

There are dozens of RSA implementations available including PGP -- PGP
is, however, the only widely available one with its code in the public
domain.

Perry

Thread