1992-11-15 - Re: Rander box and other stuff

Header Data

From: oren@apple.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7119ccea36c89796d4d6b43267be86a7b9b565ecfd9d1fc00601968384e7d336
Message ID: <9211152148.AA24934@apple.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Nov 92 13:48:38 PST

Raw message

From: oren@apple.com
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 92 13:48:38 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Rander box and other stuff

>I have a question regarding the ideas which have been circulating about
>using CD ROMs as key storage.  How does one go about rapidly and effectively
>erasing everything on a CD ROM?  The reason I ask is, in the case of OTPs
>you want to cancel your key as it's used, to prevent accidental double-use
>of key; and of course in any system you want to make sure that all your
>crypto material can be wiped squeaky clean in the event of a barbarian
>invasion.
>
>-gg

A lab proven method:  Take CD-ROM.  Place in standard kitchen microwave.
Set on high power cook for 5 seconds.  Press start.  Watch the action.
Hang resulting artifact on wall as curiosity, which is all it's good for
now.  Let the wave air out a little (this won't fry it).

A great way of trashing obsolete but confidential CD's, and perhaps the
cypherpunk equivalent of flushing the dope stash.

Tim O.

Thread