1992-11-26 - RE: PGP on local machine

Header Data

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 797a17e64e7da120b41445780caf42dd7fe6e311c642229e980b9f807f48d263
Message ID: <9211260332.AA23057@toad.com>
Reply To: <58809.drzaphod@ncselxsi>
UTC Datetime: 1992-11-26 03:32:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 19:32:58 PST

Raw message

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 19:32:58 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: PGP on local machine

> From: "DrZaphod" <ncselxsi!drzaphod@ncselxsi.netcom.com>
> >The comm program shoves the cyphertext into the uploadt editor to write your messages then
> you've just lost the whole reason for encryption.

I think what you're trying to say is that writing the message on an
insecure machine gives it away.  This is entirely true, but it sure
beats giving away your secret key and passphrase.  People were saying
that they were unable to do their message editing locally -- if this
is an insurmountable limitation, you'd do well to limit your disclosure
to the one message rather than every secret you posess.  If you *can*
edit and encrypt locally, do it, of course.

> [drzaphod@ncselxsi.uucp]

   Eli   ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu

Thread