1992-12-22 - Re: Destroying Data (Re: Remailer Policies)

Header Data

From: Peter Shipley <shipley@tfs.COM>
To: Phiber Optik <phiber@eff.org>
Message Hash: 1fe39a560fd5a4b3226e519f2880d5d5afe351c76fbd05329dd6a6f5d3159e17
Message ID: <9212220106.AA06240@edev0.TFS>
Reply To: <199212220042.AA27413@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1992-12-22 01:07:02 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Dec 92 17:07:02 PST

Raw message

From: Peter Shipley <shipley@tfs.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 92 17:07:02 PST
To: Phiber Optik <phiber@eff.org>
Subject: Re: Destroying Data (Re: Remailer Policies)

>> not quite.  you need something like
>>
>>   dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/xxx bs=verybig conv=sync
>>

>Unix weenies of old will recall "clri" to clear an inode.  If paranoia is in
>effect, try something like the following:
>
>ls -li remailer-log or whatever to get the i-node number,
>then
>clri /dev/sdxx #_of_i-node

this will zero out the inode it also does NOT clear the data blocks
just the inode pointers to the data blocks. infact if you do this.

(this you *will* need to umnount and fsck your
system [or reboot if you did this to you root partition]).
in fact if you do this with out deleteing the file first you run a good
chance of crashing the system.

normaly I would say "do not try this at home" but then I would rather
you shot yourself in the foot at home (as opposed to shooting yourself
and who ever is on a public system)

I will post some C/Perl code that will work as a /bin/rm replacement in a
few days.

			-Pete

Thread