1992-12-28 - Re: Signing ascii text

Header Data

From: Eric Messick <eric@parallax.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3fb575f339e6731f3abc38184468bb9ddf5d2dd19db1faaf42433792df63d567
Message ID: <9212281831.AA14733@parallax.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 11:19:24 PST

Raw message

From: Eric Messick <eric@parallax.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 11:19:24 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Signing ascii text

Stephen D. Williams writes:

> How about two signatures, verbatim and space-collapsed.
>
> That way if the latter was valid but the former was not, you would
> know that spacing was altered but other info remained valid.
>
> sdw

This seems to be the correct solution to me.  If PGP did this
automatically in text signature mode, then it would be up to the
reciever to decide if spaces were significant or not, and they would
be prompted to think about this when the verbatim signature
verification failed.  If one often recieved messages with mangled
spacing, one could become desensitized to this, but there's not much
to be done about that.

-- eric messick
eric@toad.com

Thread