1992-12-24 - Re: Destroying Data

Header Data

From: rsteiger@denver.cba.du.edu (Todd_Steigerwald)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4832a33ede43c28345dfcbe1fdfee4e55a1adff66c027dfb22ed14f9ac98d94a
Message ID: <9212242020.AA13761@ denver.cba.du.edu >
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 12:26:56 PST

Raw message

From: rsteiger@denver.cba.du.edu (Todd_Steigerwald)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 12:26:56 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Destroying Data

>	Consider also the technique used in the Norton Utilities
>	program "Diskwipe" which takes a /g switch which "Follows
>	certain government rules for wiping". I can't find the manual
>	but I think it specifies how many repetitions are used and
>	different values to write in each.

	The Norton Utilities Wipedisk /g does three passes writing
1's and then 0's, it follows this with the hex 'FF'.  This shoud
pretty much remove any residual traces of the data previously held on
the disk.

Thread