1992-12-18 - Re: Patent Infringement

Header Data

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 92ae50966f59f4fb16f8010694cf0bb15308f326eb8119aa9c9bd82312f9b1b2
Message ID: <9212181618.AA29313@maggie.shearson.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Dec 92 11:24:15 PST

Raw message

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 92 11:24:15 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Patent Infringement

> From: yanek@novavax.nova.edu (Yanek Martinson)
>
> > "I'm sorry to say that yes, it *IS* illegal to reinvent the wheel and
> >  apply it yourself.  In the US it is called "Patent Infringement"."
> >
> > Only if you attempt to sell it ...
>
> No.  The patent law prohibits anyone from "making, using, or selling"
> anything covered under the patent.  Selling it makes it more likely
> that the patent holder will come after you, as they have a greater
> chance of getting some money from you.
>
> I am not a lawyer, I am sure someone here can explain all this in
> greater detail, or correct me if I'm wrong.

This is one of the sillier threads I've seen in a while. Is anyone here
arguing seriously that RFI shielding your equipment is a patented technology?

Perry

Thread