1992-12-14 - Re: Paranoia and Cypherpunks

Header Data

From: dclunie@pax.tpa.com.AU (David Clunie)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c55bc5dc5ad22016501f311de9d8b20fc136da4898a822f0781f47ff99d96af6
Message ID: <9212131419.AA00298@britt>
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Dec 92 16:10:48 PST

Raw message

From: dclunie@pax.tpa.com.AU (David Clunie)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 92 16:10:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Paranoia and Cypherpunks

> Headline: "CIA chief hints change needed in ban on probing Americans"
>
> Excerpts:
>  	WASHINGTON--CIA Director Robert Gates says changes might be
> needed in the U.S. law that forbids the agency from collecting
> information about Americans or U.S. companies.
> 	Such changes might enable the CIA to better support the
> Justice Department and other law enforcement agencies, he said in an
> interview with the Associated Press.

Juding by what I read in "The Puzzle Palace" the other day, I gather no
such ban exists on the NSA doing this. Hardly seems to matter much
whether one has two "Big Brothers" watching over use or just one !
And the budget of the NSA is a hell of a lot bigger than the CIA.

david

Thread