1992-12-11 - Re: Questions about US/Canadian Laws about public encryption

Header Data

From: mark@coombs.anu.edu.au (Mark)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cda5b510aeec291deccecae4544135de6dde64fbe1f84449b7e612071e3684de
Message ID: <mark.724037151@coombs>
Reply To: <BysM6J.76z@minerva1.bull.it>
UTC Datetime: 1992-12-11 01:31:26 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 17:31:26 PST

Raw message

From: mark@coombs.anu.edu.au (Mark)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 17:31:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Questions about US/Canadian Laws about public encryption

On a discussion of devices one can attach to a phone line to encrypt
your comms:

rcain@netcom.com (Robert Cain) writes:

>There may be U.S. national security
>laws broad enough to stop a potential seller of such a device and I
>have been told that under such laws (of which I know little by definition)
>a stop order can be issued by a court which you must obey but can't even
>open because it carries a top secret seal and furthermore you cannot even
>discuss it without looking at Leavenworth.  So it is entirely possible that
>hidden laws exist to prevent sale of such devices, have been used and we
>would not know it under the umbrella of U.S. national security.

So much for "ignorance of the law is no excuse". They want it both ways?
Secret laws and you obeying them? Sounds like the rules my roomies make up
as we play any board game. (aka cheating :)

Mark
mark@coombs.anu.edu.au

Thread