1992-12-20 - Re: Destroying Data

Header Data

From: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dd05f7fbbee0a031a9e893b75e3883b58af7bd50d7891fb2c925444660a7e2aa
Message ID: <9212201752.AA24549@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 20 Dec 92 09:53:45 PST

Raw message

From: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 92 09:53:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Destroying Data

	In audio recording which uses magnetic media similar to disks
	the only way to thoroughly erase a tape is with a so-called
	bulk eraser. This applies a very strong a.c. magnetic field
	and then is gradually withdrawn from the tape to allow the
	residual magnetism to "follow the hysteresis curve" down to
	zero. This would be difficult to apply to disks except floppies.

	Consider also the technique used in the Norton Utilities
	program "Diskwipe" which takes a /g switch which "Follows
	certain government rules for wiping". I can't find the manual
	but I think it specifies how many repetitions are used and
	different values to write in each.

Thread