1993-01-15 - Re: possible solution to the anonymous harrassment problem

Header Data

From: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
To: marc@mit.edu
Message Hash: 0408c4968e4a4c67ba034790efc38bb6f0ee4830d3e1d7c7f6665070ec3f5ef1
Message ID: <9301150344.AA22546@toad.com>
Reply To: <9301142356.AA26090@dun-dun-noodles.aktis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-01-15 03:44:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 19:44:54 PST

Raw message

From: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 19:44:54 PST
To: marc@mit.edu
Subject: Re: possible solution to the anonymous harrassment problem

the remailer of my dreams would offer ironclad guarantees of
anonymity.  call me a cynic, but asking me to place my trust in the
hands of ...  well, just about anybody! leaves me cold.

i recognize that social issues will surely arise, but society has
managed to deal with anonymity in other contexts.  for example, i
can send postal mail with high confidence of anonymity, and can make
anonymous phone calls (with care, e.g., by using phone booths and
moving around).

something tells me that the difference here is that we are getting
remailer services for free.  how's the cypherpunks bank coming along?
i have an application in mind ...

a final comment:

>                              Remember, if people were honest, we
> wouldn't need encryption, either.

forgive me if i'm coming on too strong, but that is total bullshit.
privacy and honesty are orthogonal.

	peter

Thread