1993-01-13 - re: mental poker protocol

Header Data

From: Karl L. Barrus <barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3edf41dfff883d8716fe868183712f9822248854e2f280636ec845364e546479
Message ID: <9301131714.AA02844@tree.egr.uh.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 09:15:34 PST

Raw message

From: Karl L. Barrus <barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 09:15:34 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: mental poker protocol

Hal writes:
>Am I missing something in the description of the protocol, or was the
>actual protocol perhaps a little different than this?

Oops.  I typed too quickly; the posted protocol specified shuffling
the entire deck to form message M3.  Thus, each player draws from a
full deck.  While this isn't exactly poker, I'm still willing to play
somebody.  So Hal's right: the original protocol is different - it's
not broken like the one I posted :-)

The post to sci.crypt was in response to a bit commitment question.
Here, players commit by making public their hashes.  Later, everyone
can verify when the messages are known.

If anyone's interested, send me a notice to elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu.
(The server for my other account is acting erratic and I'm considering
moving my subscription).

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu             | <- preferred address
| barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |