1993-01-16 - Re: possible solution to the anonymous h

Header Data

From: Chris Hibbert <hibbert@xanadu.com>
To: Hal <uunet!CompuServe.COM!74076.1041@uunet.UU.NET>
Message Hash: 472fd0b1fc1e458de007bf607e4193215f4f2d7aeb3a2de10af4476383807c96
Message ID: <9301162240.AA18137@entropy.xanadu.com>
Reply To: <930115065840_74076.1041_DHJ55-1@CompuServe.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-01-16 22:55:14 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Jan 93 14:55:14 PST

Raw message

From: Chris Hibbert <hibbert@xanadu.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 93 14:55:14 PST
To: Hal <uunet!CompuServe.COM!74076.1041@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Re: possible solution to the anonymous h

> A final point is that forwarding mail for another person can hardly be
> made illegal in general.  If I receive a message from person A asking me
> to forward it on to person B, and I do so, this is clearly a legitimate
> email message that I choose to send.  To try to disallow this would be to
> put intolerable restrictions on email content.  So, if this is allowed, it
> seems to me that I should be able to write a program to do what I am
> allowed to do manually.

I don't believe the analogy holds up.  In dealing with it manually,
police would expect that there's  a chance that they could haul you
into court and ask you for names and dates.  In the manual
situation, you are responsible as editor, a responsibility you're
looking to get away from.  The law would prefer that someone is
responsible, so they may try to find a way to hold someone
responsible.

Chris

Thread