1993-01-03 - Re: Why mailers should not touch the body

Header Data

From: jordan@imsi.com (Jordan Hayes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6686f2a473b56e1da021e4cec19b57bd4443501f7d13fe7779787846cf85094c
Message ID: <9301031512.AA05222@IMSI.COM>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Jan 93 08:08:38 PST

Raw message

From: jordan@imsi.com (Jordan Hayes)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 93 08:08:38 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why mailers should not touch the body

I got lots of mail telling me that signing messages in the body of the
message came about because "various mailers" munge header lines.  Now
it's true that for gateway processing, To: and From: lines need to get
translated, but I've never seen a mailer change or remove a header that
doesn't have to do with addressing before.  Can someone provide an
example?  My claim is that a signature belongs on the envelope and not
in the body.

-----

To be clear, I'm talking about (e.g.) a PGP signature, not a .signature
with a cute saying in it.

/jordan

Thread