1993-01-22 - Re: the bill of rights hasn’t been revoked. not yet, anyway.

Header Data

From: Marc.Ringuette@GS80.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6acaa9c01f44b7d707953a7cadfb0254cbdd2f21e4e1944ac5ed0cf83e278eef
Message ID: <9301221833.AA06301@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Jan 93 10:33:25 PST

Raw message

From: Marc.Ringuette@GS80.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 93 10:33:25 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: the bill of rights hasn't been revoked. not yet, anyway.

> Agreed. I guess if you refuse [ to decrypt your files] after that
> point, they can hold you in contempt of court or cite you for
> obstruction of justice.

Oh yeah, this reminds me of a scheme by my friend Fuzzy.  Create
an encryption system which compresses and encrypts two files in
the space of one (more or less) using two different keys, the "real"
one and the "innocent" one.  When you encrypt something, you also
encrypt a similar-sized hunk of innocuous text.  When they ask for
the key, you give them the one that spits out the fake stuff.

True, it's security by obscurity.  But I thought you might be interested.

-- Marc Ringuette (mnr@cs.cmu.edu)

Thread