1993-01-14 - Re: anonymous service shutdown (pax)

Header Data

From: Hal <74076.1041@CompuServe.COM>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 731621623ad52e24420732b8a56d21bb1fbeb3852ce26c145e603e471d8dc56e
Message ID: <93011420074874076.1041_DHJ54-2@CompuServe.COM>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1993-01-14 20:24:43 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 12:24:43 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <74076.1041@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 12:24:43 PST
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: anonymous service shutdown (pax)

to: >internet:cypherpunks@toad.com

I agree that the PAX shutdown is an ominous development.  Nobody's
internet access is perfectly free from the kinds of pressures that were
brought against PAX.  What steps can we take to keep the same thing from
happening to us?

I agree with Karl that a big step would be to spread remailers more widely.
Eric Hollander is running three remailers in addition to the ones Karl
mentioned - hh@soda.berkeley.edu, and two other machines which I don't
have handy.  They don't encrypt but they forward, and that's good enough
for many purposes.

Some time back, there was mention that the owner of the commercial Portal
system would run one.  Could someone follow up on that who knows him?

PGP is gradually disappearing from U.S. sites where it used to be
available.  Recently it got taken off the EFF area on Compuserve.
We can't afford to see encryption and remailers be slowly strangled.

Hal
74076.1041@compuserve.com

Thread