1993-01-05 - Hiding PGP code

Header Data

From: Matt Willis <ASTMWILL%STETSON.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 888cd4fc8d969436a4efd13e272cea53a50a91b673f52948374e641ce468338f
Message ID: <01GT5P4IHYCG000224@stetson.bitnet>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Jan 93 08:26:21 PST

Raw message

From: Matt Willis <ASTMWILL%STETSON.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 93 08:26:21 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hiding PGP code

Peter Breton <pbreton@cs.umb.edu> writes:
> In using encrypted communications, how does one avoid the problem of
>calling attention to the message BECAUSE it is encrypted? "If he went to
>the trouble of coding it, there MUST be something in there!!" Granted that
>if everyone begins encrypting, this problem will vanish... are there
>practical solutions in the meantime? (eg, Codes that look like plaintext?)

Here's an interesting solution...  You can program a message filter to add
extract letters to each PGP character to make it a word.
I'm sure you could find any database of words and have it randomly make first
letters... it'd be pretty simple... and then the receiver would just take every
letter followed by a space...  and if you wanted to be ultra-sneaky (who, us)
you could have null words that change conditions in the letter... like
switching to the second letter in the word, or skipping the next word
altogether... but what to do with no-letter PGP codes... ok, the first TWO
letters of the word indicate a character... sort of like a byte...
hey, I think I might just write this sucker...

Code will follow!

carpe crypto

|       Matt Willis       ASTMWILL@STETSON.BITNET  |        elsewhere:
|       Matt Willis       Head of the Underground  | mwill@mindvox.phantom.com
|       Matt Willis          Robotech PBM List     |
"Absolutely alone in awareness of the mechanism." -Agrippa by WG

Thread