1993-01-15 - Re: possible solution to the anonymous…

Header Data

From: uri@watson.ibm.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 958b4e47fc22a2b5f1efa1d407040564bf282756f38a77c9b90e03e94529cc48
Message ID: <9301151731.AA13017@buoy.watson.ibm.com>
Reply To: <9301150837.AA01096@britt>
UTC Datetime: 1993-01-15 17:58:13 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Jan 93 09:58:13 PST

Raw message

From: uri@watson.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 93 09:58:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: possible solution to the anonymous...

David Clunie says:
> > RSA has a patent on their algorithm.  It's quite likely that I can't
> > even create a key pair without their permission, let alone use it.
>
> I am not familiar with the legal status of patents and software packages,
> but it seems to me that they can sell you a program and license you to
> use it, but forcing you to use one of their key servers instead of your
> own seems pretty far fetched.

Anyway, RSADSI released RSAREF toolkit free for non-commercial use.
RIPEM (with RSAREF bundled in :-) allows you to create as many key
pairs as your soul wishes.   And surprise,  you are allowed to use
them...

So let's face real problems, rather than RSA patent (which hopefully
will expire by itself :-).
--
Regards,
Uri         uri@watson.ibm.com      scifi!angmar!uri 	N2RIU