1993-01-15 - Re: Details on return envelopes

Header Data

From: Eric Messick <eric@parallax.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c41e65c5ea60b77bbd5df8025b016ee9c4cde9965403699e9dcd13622fd582b
Message ID: <9301150713.AA29658@parallax.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Jan 93 01:40:12 PST

Raw message

From: Eric Messick <eric@parallax.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 93 01:40:12 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Details on return envelopes

As per Hal's suggestions, I've come up with a simpler example.  I've
also hardened it against an attack that he noticed, which has
considerably changed the protocol.

Hal writes:
> Another general point, which may be important.  Chaum emphasized that his
> anonymous addresses should be use-once, because if two people send messages
> to the same anonymous address, someone who has access to the mail going
> into and coming out of the remailer will see identical address fields
> coming out for the pair of messages.  I think Eric's scheme has the same
> property.

While thinking about this weakness, I realized that everything gets a
lot easier if each (re)mailer knows the public key of the next.  This
is public knowledge, so there's no need to hide the key once the next
destination is known.  If there was a complete database of public keys
of remailers that each remailer had, the key could be found from the
address.  Since that database might not be up to date, the public key
is transmitted along with the address.  Consequently, I was able to
remove all of the conventional keys from the protocol.  All
encryptions are now done with public keys.  Of course, there is still
the conventional encryption done for each public key encrypted packet.
The protocol is strengthened against this attack by fresh encryptions
at each stage which hide the constant string.

Note that the remailer itself can still identify the set of messages
that were sent using the same envelope.  It would be nice to fix this,
but it seems unlikely at this point.  Any ideas anyone?

I've got two examples here: a paired down one, and a slightly fuller
one.  The first has no postage, which cuts down considerably on the
excess.  The second example is just the first with the postage added
back in (just to show that it still works).

The envelope specifies hosts &Z and &R.  The sender routes the message
through &Y before using the envelope.  So, the message goes from &S to
&Y to &Z to &R where it is delivered.

The complete simplified transaction is reproduced below, starting with
the initial envelope:

Addr: &Z, z, z(&R, r, r(junk))

To: &Y
Addr: y(y(&Z, z, z(&R, r, r(junk))), pad)
Message: y(M, pad)

To: &Z
Addr: z(z(&R, r, r(junk)), pad)
Message: z(M, pad)

To: &R
Addr: r(r(junk), pad)
Message: r(M, pad)

The sender basically ignores the contents of the envelope, but wraps
it in the public key y for safe delivery to &Y.  The message and the
address info are both then padded and encrypted with y.  The reason
for encrypting the address info with y twice will become clear
shortly.

&Y receives the message labeled To: &Y above.  The outer y encryptions
are removed, followed by the inner y encryption on the address field.
The message M, and the original envelope are thus revealed to &Y.  &Y
now knows to send the message to &Z, and knows the public key z.  The
message M is then padded and encrypted with z.

There is already a portion of the address field that is encrypted with
z. That portion contains all of the info that &Z needs to know, but
this info, as Hal pointed out, is a constant string; an external
observer could use this to associated a group of messages with a
single envelope.  To obscure this, the string is encrypted a second
time with z.  Recall that a random conventional key is generated each
time a public key encryption is done, so a constant plaintext string
will encrypt to a different cyphertext string each time.  The padding
helps keep the string from being identified by its length.  To keep
the protocol consistent, the original envelope had to be encrypted
with y twice.

The resulting message is sent to &Z, where the same processing is
done.  Let's trace it in detail this time, but without the extraneous
padding.

&Z has received:

Addr: z(z(&R, r, r(...)))
Message: z(M)

Which looks to the outside world like:

Addr: z(...)
Message: z(...)

But &Z can decrypt those z(...)'s to obtain, first:

Addr: z(&R, r, r(...))
Message: M

And then:

Addr: &R, r, r(...)
Message: M

With r thus exposed, &Z can encrypt both M and r(...) with it to
obtain:

To: &R
Addr: r(r(...))
Message: r(M)

Which to the outside world looks like:

To: &R
Addr: r(...)
Message: r(...)

With everything nicely hidden.  This is what gets sent to &R.  Knowing
r, &R can recover M.  We're done.

I'll present the postage example without further comment, except to
note that at each step, all fields are freshly encrypted with the next
hop's public key.

Addr: &Z, z, z(Sz, Qz, &R, r, r(junk))
Pneed: Pz, Amt_z, Pr, Amt_r

To: &Y
Addr: y(y(Sy, Qy, &Z, z, z(Sz, Qz, &R, r, r(junk))), pad)
Post: y(Py($y, Pz($z, Pr($r))), pad)
Pdue: y(Qs(stuff_s), pad)
Message: y(M, pad)

To: &Z
Addr: z(z(Sz, Qz, &R, r, r(junk)), pad)
Post: z(Pz($z, Pr($r)), pad)
Pdue: z(Qy(stuff_y, Qs(stuff_s)), pad)
Message: z(M, pad)

To: &R
Addr: r(r(junk), pad)
Post: r(Pr($r), pad)
Pdue: r(Qz(stuff_z, Qy(stuff_y, Qs(stuff_s))), pad)
Message: r(M, pad)

-eric messick

Thread