1993-01-21 - Communications Policy

Header Data

From: tribble@xanadu.com (E. Dean Tribble)
To: uunet!penet.FI!julf@uunet.UU.NET
Message Hash: a567fe75c7f61f6703cd1cdad655338381342611da07a0767f2d82612861969d
Message ID: <9301211642.AA10997@xanadu.xanadu.com>
Reply To: <9301211119.aa20785@penet.penet.FI>
UTC Datetime: 1993-01-21 17:21:13 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 09:21:13 PST

Raw message

From: tribble@xanadu.com (E. Dean Tribble)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 09:21:13 PST
To: uunet!penet.FI!julf@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Communications Policy

	 Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 11:38:45 +0200
	 From: Johan Helsingius <uunet!penet.FI!julf>

	 > by some of the so-called anonymous remailers!)

	 Hmmmm.... I find the accusation about anonymous remailers pretty strong.
	 If you have proof of stuff like that happening, or even reasonable cause
	 for suspicions, I feel the accusations and names of the sites should be
	 published as widely as possible. That is the only way we can stop
	 such unethical behavior.

The service of anonymous remailing is separate from the the guaranteed
anonymity of a remailers that don't keep logs.  You'll note that the
remailing aspects can be observed externally, whereas guaranteeing
that logs are not being kept is extremely hard.  One remailer operator
I know keeps logs because you have to assume that everyone keeps logs,
and try to be secure anyway.  You can be sure that the NSA remailers
will keep logs :-)

The right thing to do is run a remailer of your own, and send
everything encrypted through remailers, etc.

dean

Thread