1993-01-14 - pax anonymous remailer shutdown

Header Data

From: eichin@cygnus.com (Mark Eichin)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d834d5bc01b8f7541587003a3a01c09767cfcc817b158d1af5d2285d83676262
Message ID: <9301141447.AA19074@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 06:48:48 PST

Raw message

From: eichin@cygnus.com (Mark Eichin)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 06:48:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: pax anonymous remailer shutdown

I include the article as it arrived here.			_Mark_

From: dclunie@pax.tpa.com.au (David Clunie)
Newsgroups: aus.aarnet,aus.news,alt.sexual.abuse.recovery,alt.sex,alt.sex.bondage,alt.sex.motss,alt.sex.stories,talk.politics.homosexuality,alt.personals,alt.personals.bondage,alt.security.pgp,comp.security.misc,talk.politics.guns
Subject: PAX Anonymous & Encrypted Service shutdown
Date: 14 Jan 1993 07:39:22 GMT

The anonymous and encrypted mail service at PAX has been shutdown.

The site that connects PAX has been told by someone from AARNet (the
Australian Academic Research Network) that the service is unsuitable
for AARNet, and that if it is not stopped then the feeding site will
be disconnected from the net.

There has been no communication from AARNet to me or anyone else at
PAX, but I cannot allow the feeding site to put itself at risk hence
the service is closed until further notice.

I am lead to believe that this is not so much AARNet's policy, but the
NSF Net's policy and the NSF have brought pressure to bear on AARNet,
as they believe that all mail that crosses their network must be traceable
to its origin, ipso facto no anonymous mailers. I have not been approached
by either organization personally so I cannot confoirm this.

I am extremely disappointed but c'est la vie.

It was an interesting experiment, and proof that the concept of anonymous
encrypted mail is feasible with simple tools. Hopefully someone somewhere
outside the jurisdiction of these authorities will be able to continue the
good work.

david clunie (dclunie@pax.tpa.com.au)

ex-anon.admin@pax.tpa.com.au :(

Thread