1993-01-29 - Remailer abuse?

Header Data

From: hal@alumni.cco.caltech.edu (Hal Finney)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fff35193ff6260b4fd64365be5b7491ea1d47b020ef509324164f88302862f51
Message ID: <9301291807.AA08440@alumni.cco.caltech.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Jan 93 10:05:55 PST

Raw message

From: hal@alumni.cco.caltech.edu (Hal Finney)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 93 10:05:55 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Remailer abuse?

When the Pax remailer was shut down, I stopped keeping any logs of my
remailer operation.  I felt that I did not want to provide information
that would be helpful to those forces which oppose information privacy.

So, I don't know the history of it, but today I received this message:

	To: hal@alumni.cco.caltech.edu
	Subject: Re: what you said you wanted

	I am shocked that you would send such trash to innocent young girls,
	whom you don't even know (Not that it is better if you know them)
	Well, I am appalled!!!
	Why me??

Is someone using my remailer to send trash to innocent young girls?
I am uncomfortable to be facilitating this kind of activity.  Can anyone
offer suggestions for the ethical thing to do in this situation?

Hal
74076.1041@compuserve.com

Thread