1993-02-11 - E PLURIBUS DOODAH

Header Data

From: John.Nieder@f33.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Nieder)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 047faf616ce0cdb6a49c951fef21c0de1bfc8b3fe7a0ef7b86e0dd3fd9ea6819
Message ID: <4854.2B7A6A61@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 08:07:45 PST

Raw message

From: John.Nieder@f33.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Nieder)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 08:07:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: E PLURIBUS DOODAH

from: john.nieder@f33.n125.z1.fidonet.org

 * Reply to msg originally in Cypherpunks

 BK> Currently, Jock Gill is
 BK> working in an office located in the Old Executive Office Building
 BK> across the street from the White House.  At this point, he is
 BK> working alone, without a staff.

This week's news indicates to me this will probably not improve.

 BK> The White House itself employs a large
 BK> staff to handle snail mail.

According to Monday night's news, this is from where these vaunted
"symbolic" 25% White House staff cuts will come.

 BK> All things in their time.  Once the
 BK> E-mail address was circulated together with the heading the "White
 BK> House", everyone understandably believed a real system was up
and
 BK> running.

Yes, silly us...to say nothing of the "CLINTON" AOL address

 BK> SUGGESTION:  Use the compuserve address you have judiciously,
 BK> reserving it for absolutely vital contacts.

Oh, yes, _certainly_!  The _vital_ stuff should go into a nonexistant
system.  Naturally!

 BK> Until such time that a
 BK> real public access White house E-mail system is operational,
 BK> consider relying on the traditional means of contacting the
 BK> administration.  Given what they had to start with from the
 BK> previous administration (scratch), I have every reason to expect
 BK> that Jeff Eller and Jock Gill will work well--and as quickly
as
 BK> possible--to get an interactive system up and running.  But it
will
 BK> take time and patience.

Can anyone say, "VAPORWARE"?

 BK> We can all help them achieve that effort
 BK> best if we refrain from acting as if that non-existent system
were
 BK> already in place.  PLEASE HELP RELAY THIS CONTEXT AND SUGGESTION
 BK> OTHER NETWORKS AND INDIVIDUALS.  Thanks.

Pass it around?  You bet.  It's f*cking _hilarious_!  My guess is  that
this gaffe will (or at least ought to) get Gill fired, assuming he
survives this "symbolic" staff downsizing.  I might add that nothing
could be more "symbolic" than the announcement that the cuts will  come
from those who actually respond to public input.  This "go away &  don't
bother us" move on the part of the Clinton administration indicates  that
it obviously doesn't care _what_ America thinks.
.   There is a _bright side_ to this, however:  Would such an
indifferent administration spend resources trying to break our codes
when it doesn't care what we have to say anyway? 8-)
        JN

... We want information./You won't get it!/By hook or by crook, we
_will_!

--
John Nieder - via FidoNet node 1:125/555
    UUCP - ...!uunet!hoptoad!kumr!fidogate!33!John.Nieder

Thread