1993-02-22 - Computer Virus Origins

Header Data

From: Jay Prime Positive <jpp@markv.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 111dfa50db98288a3d84515c0dff8e3911d373a57cc166ae1a552eba371b27f9
Message ID: <9302220055.aa26050@hermix.markv.com>
Reply To: <9302190714.AA23494@netcom.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-22 08:57:57 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Feb 93 00:57:57 PST

Raw message

From: Jay Prime Positive <jpp@markv.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 93 00:57:57 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Computer Virus Origins

  It has been a bit of a sore point with me for some years.  When Fred
Cohen wrote his thesis he credited Len Adelman ((the A in RSA) our
professor at the time) with coining the term "virus".  In fact it was
I who did this.  It was I who introduced the class to the concept of
computer viruses.  I developed the idea with a guy named Eric ??? with
whom I worked at the time.  It was in private with Eric that I came up
with the name (or perhaps he may have sugested it).  I based the idea
on the "worm" from one of John Brunner's novels which I had just read.

  The name is a natural choice for this class of program, and I don't
doubt that others may have nearly simultaneuosly come upon the same
idea.  I certainly didn't write the first virus.

j' (computer virus meme source)

Thread