1993-02-25 - Re: Anonymous flooding

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
To: Theodore Ts’o <tytso@athena.mit.edu>
Message Hash: 2632e0623e0c9452a30b7b902ab5e37eadcbaed2976b0294434c2fde8522f93f
Message ID: <9302250618.aa14970@penet.penet.FI>
Reply To: <9302242216.AA16535@SOS>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-25 05:34:55 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Feb 93 21:34:55 PST

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 93 21:34:55 PST
To: Theodore Ts'o <tytso@athena.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Anonymous flooding

Teodore Ts'o writes:

> At MIT, we're considering to start up an anonymous remailer, but with
> the proviso that if we get a complaint about a particular pseudonym is
> used to send harassing email, or email with threatening violence, and
> some other well-defined occassions, that we would reveal, to the proper
> authorities, the email address used for sending replies back.
>
> A warning to that effect would be sent back to an email address the
> first time the anonymous contact service saw that particular email
> address, and assigned it a pseudonym address for replies.  This way,
> users would have the proper expectations of privacy.

Hmm... Could you briefly outline those "well-defined"
occasions? How about this case: I send you a complaint about somebody
who has repeatedly harrassed everybody soc.culture.india/tamil/srilanka
with anonymous postings about faked reports about then indian army
raping civilians in sri lanka?

> Ultimately, I think this is the only way that anonymous remailers will
> be able to function.  Otherwise, the public outcry the first time one of
> these remailers are abused will cause these full remailers to be
> shutdown, or otherwise cut off from the net.

Exactly as has happened to anon.penet.fi. ;-)

	Julf

Thread