1993-02-23 - KQED FM tuesday

Header Data

From: pete@cirrus.com (Pete Carpenter)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 27a822f7188633e1a0f46f7af5084723dd9c7545de5e8c98102039d74ee6f619
Message ID: <9302231841.AA04053@ss2138.cirrus.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Feb 93 10:45:18 PST

Raw message

From: pete@cirrus.com (Pete Carpenter)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 93 10:45:18 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: KQED FM tuesday

	The reference to a San Francisco radio station may seem a
bit parochial, but I promise its related...  I just heard a few
minutes of their 'Forum' program. The topic was local reaction to
Clinton's visit by spokesmen for SIA and AEA, plus the head of SGI.
(Semicon Industry Assoc, American Electronics Assoc, Silicon Graphics)

Someone called with concerns about privacy and wide spread use of
encryption in cyberspace. If he had left it at that, a question
about privacy, which everyone can grasp, he might have had his
question answered. I would like to hear what these people had to
say on this important topic.

But no, the guy went off into a 'statement' about how the goverment
wants to interfere with 'digital money', and the moderator cut him off,
dry. No disscussion - substitute some other question about jobs.

The moral of the story is - KISS! keep it simple, when talking about
these issues to the general public. Privacy in the electronic age is
something that everyone can understand. And quite a few 'regular' people
are very much concerned. Offer wide spread public encryption technology
as a solution to the problem.

But PLEASE, don't gum up (public) disscussion with esoterica like
'digital money'.  Most people don't even understand how 'regular'
money works :-)

Pete Carpenter                           pete@cirrus.com

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills. - Robert Hunter

Thread