1993-02-27 - Hellman and DES

Header Data

From: Dave Banisar <banisar@washofc.cpsr.org>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 2ff936eb4929f0d96d567b69c95f3f7a32267c24606d6dc32469edc940dc5bd7
Message ID: <9302271040.AA45880@hacker2.eff.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Feb 93 07:38:09 PST

Raw message

From: Dave Banisar <banisar@washofc.cpsr.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 93 07:38:09 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Hellman and DES

I've talked to Martin Hellman quite a few times (he came to my last crypto
conference and gave an overview of the field), he has never said that he
could crack true DES. When DES first came out, he was one of the people most
actively opposing the 56 bit key as being too small. At the time, he
estimated that a machine of parallel processors could be built for $10M that
would crack DES keys easily. DES at the time was only supposed to be for 10
years and then a new system was supposed to replace it.

Today, he advocates for security that you triple-DES your
communications/files.

At last word (and I may have missed any advancements in the flame wars on
sci.crypt), Shamir and Biham had cracked up to 2^^46, thats still quite a
ways computationally from 2^^56.

Dave

Thread