1993-02-20 - RE: Advertising on the net

Header Data

From: visionary@peg.apc.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 312bdc680667d62779a03881cc255bde01075d31b975714c20b3725b21c02d37
Message ID: <9302201420.AA14623@igc.apc.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Feb 93 07:04:17 PST

Raw message

From: visionary@peg.apc.org
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 93 07:04:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Advertising on the net

Whilst the arguments "against" online advertising are many
and are BOUND to be the most vocal, I'd just like to put in
a pitch that counters that thread.

I really like to see what people are up to - if that means
they are tryin to earn a living from their activities, then thats
fine by me. So I like to see good, clever, informative and
interesting advertising material - PROVIDED it is NOT posted
repeatedly ad nauseam - i'd forgive once, twice, thrice over
a period of a month or so - then if it came in again I'd shout!

If you look closely at what actually comes across from all quarters
i think you'd agree that we do receive a lot of "advertising" in
many subtle guises. Gee - even crediting a magazine from which an
article is swiped is a form of advertising ;-)

I view the net as a way of life... as such i would even LIKE to
be able to order all sorts of things via email. For instance
if some of the more prolific writers among us wanted to earn
something from their writing, then i believe it would be very
acceptable to make books, journal subscriptions, limited print-runs
etc available in an online catalog - again, providing it was
interesting, informative reading in its own right then I would
have no objection whatsoever.

I could probably wax lyrical with many other examples, but i'm
sure you get my drift. I'm very interested in this debate and
hope that some sensible guidelines may be formulated by such
discussion. Naturally, in moderated newsgroups, this issue is
clearly dealt with... but yet is it correct that the moderator
be the "all-powerful" hand of CUT or KEEP.

You may also gather from the above that i am totally against
censorship of ANY sort - fully knowing what a can of worms that
opens up in regard to online communications.

...looking forward to hearing more...  enuf from me :-)

Michael Ney
PO Box 566 Milsons Point NSW 2061 Australia
Tel: (+61-2) 692-8168
Email via APC: peg:visionary
via Internet: visionary@peg.apc.org
Engaged in graphic design, photography, journalism and publishing.
No job too small - will work within budget limitations - fast service!

...But that wasnt an advert - I was just telling you about myself :-)

Thread