1993-02-09 - Re: Compressed/Encrypted Voice using Modems

Header Data

From: cp@jido.b30.ingr.com (Craig Presson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f7736f87b513f5e96596f18f2192132b78abbc4c4ca4f9bb35eb32d4f695d16
Message ID: <199302092105.AA01119@jido.b30.ingr.com>
Reply To: <9302091839.AA09736@maggie.shearson.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-09 21:07:00 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Feb 93 13:07:00 PST

Raw message

From: cp@jido.b30.ingr.com (Craig Presson)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 93 13:07:00 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Compressed/Encrypted Voice using Modems

In <9302091839.AA09736@maggie.shearson.com>, Perry E. Metzger writes:
|> > From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
[...]
|> > Not only that, he was single handedly responsible for the 15 minute
|> > delay rule in reporting stock market transactions.  Evidently he
|> > applied information-theoretic techniques to the data and was able to
|> > make a load of money at it.  I have no references on this, and would
|> > love to see some.
|>
|> I don't believe this. You can buy data feeds that give you instant market
|> data, rather than 15 minute delayed information. I've worked for
|> operations like Morgan Stanley's Analytic Proprietary Trading Group,
|> and although I've seen some neat tricks applied to market data, I've
|> never heard tell of Shannon developing any, nor is there any delay
|> in the data such groups use for trading.
|>
|> Perry

In particular, Compuserve subscribers get 15-minute old stock
quotes for free, and pay extra to get closer to real-time.

To quote an advert from Open Systems (Propaganda) Today:
"            SuperHackers
D.E. Shaw & Co., a small, ... algorithmic trading firm,
seeks brilliant, world-class software professionals to
help create Wall Street's future. ..."

This may be drifting off-topic, unless someone sees a way to finance
anarcho-ventures with high-tech arbitrage. I suppose Perry would be in
the middle of any such cabal -- or maybe he isn't saying ;-)
        ^
       /
------/---- cp@jido.b11.ingr.com (Craig Presson)
     /