1993-02-25 - Re: dispatches from the front lines of anonymity

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
To: John Nieder <John.Nieder@f33.n125.z1.fidonet.org>
Message Hash: 590ee6e37989dba3d9dfbd4ba5aa311e81f0171af1dbfbe41eb1976b8b1243ee
Message ID: <9302251604.aa21585@penet.penet.FI>
Reply To: <5046.2B8CB524@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-25 17:33:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Feb 93 09:33:59 PST

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 93 09:33:59 PST
To: John Nieder <John.Nieder@f33.n125.z1.fidonet.org>
Subject: Re: dispatches from the front lines of anonymity

> There is also the problem of those (like me) who access the internet
> from outside, through gates.  The messages are not only marked with the
> point of origin automatically by the originating BBS's software, but are
> also subject to monitoring by any number of systems operators en route
> to internet.  When all of the headers (including passwords for the
> anonymous servers) are in plaintext, the entire anonymous system seems
> compromised.  While some servers I haven't tried yet seem to be PGPed,
> this doesn't seem to be the case with penet.fi.

Penet.fi will be PGP:s as soon as I get PGP running reliably on the
Interactive UNIX system I use. This weekend, I hope... But if you all
keep coming up with other new features I have to add, I don't know how
long it's going to take. And I have to upgrade the hardware as well,
the load is getting so big the current server is running out of both CPU
and disk. This weekend I will upgrade to a 486SX motherboard and a
bigger disk.

>  BK> How about an EFF sponsored server?
>
> Yes, and preferably at a site outside the US, just for good measure.
> There is an obvious appeal to having servers outside the jurisdiction of
> American law-enforcement busybodies.

Yeah, seems that (and the fact that I have 100% control not only of the
site but of the network as well) is what has kept anon.penet.fi up this
long...

	Julf

Thread