1993-02-26 - Re: more ideas on anonymity

Header Data

From: mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6ba7bbb75e5e022bf146c28129ad04bc9332936c36474a23794b0c89bdd2b5a7
Message ID: <9302262059.AA25682@tramp.cc.utexas.edu>
Reply To: <199302261159.AA19219@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-26 21:00:41 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Feb 93 13:00:41 PST

Raw message

From: mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 93 13:00:41 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: more ideas on anonymity

George A. Gleason <gg@well.sf.ca.us> writes:

> John, I missed where I might have been advocating censorship...
[...]
> Okay, maybe your point hinges on the "advocating violent acts" item.  Well
> this is a pretty tight issue: hard to differentiate between someone
> advocating insurrection, advocating race war, and advocating going out in
> your own neighborhood and killing (whoever).  Either way it is advocacy of
> violence against someone. [...]

In the U.S. at least, there is nothing illegal about advocating race war or
violence against groups and classifications of members of society.  What
is illegal is inciting others to violent acts against a specific person or
target.  Saying "Kill all WASPs!" is not illegal, but saying "Kill John
Doe!" could get you arrested.

You are treading a thin line (and I would say have passed onto the wrong
side....) if you begin establishing policy such that a particular group or
set of beliefs is denied access without justification, but just because
"they are X."  If you try to censor the communications of those who you
despise then you are no better than they are...

jim

Thread