1993-02-10 - Re: Compressed/Encrypted Voice using Modems

Header Data

From: sdw@sdwsys.lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
To: jim@tadpole.com (Jim Thompson)
Message Hash: 7644e9effaa9ffef3f1d8e4720b28233a7a50ec48bae2104a41d025572bd34af
Message ID: <9302100519.AA12969@sdwsys.lig.net>
Reply To: <9302071056.AA00916@ono-sendai>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-10 05:23:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Feb 93 21:23:07 PST

Raw message

From: sdw@sdwsys.lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 93 21:23:07 PST
To: jim@tadpole.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject: Re: Compressed/Encrypted Voice using Modems

> I don't see how a 28.8kbps (raw) data rate is possible, as the Shannon
> limit for a POTS line is 22kbps.  Certainly parts of the phone system
> no longer impose the narrow bandwidth that are part of the 'spec', but
> one can not always depend on getting a line that exceedes the published
> parameters of the phone system.
My impression was that most of the new systems dealt with variable
bandwidth automatically.  28.8kbps might only be acheived on a higher
quality line.  The stated rates are max, not nominal.

> I'm also fairly sure that recent Zyxel modems (e.g. the U-1496) use
> this Rockwell chip(set), and not a dedicated DSP.
They told me they use their own design 'datapump', and I know they use
a 68K (I swapped the rom in mine).

> Jim

Also, from a previous note, you wouldn't want to turn off V.42/V.42bis
since that is where the error correction is.  Also, even on compressed
data, you get some additional bandwidth because it does packetized
synchronous data.  This gets close to 8bits/byte instead of 10 (start,
stop).

I get around 1760cps for LZW (zoo/compress) data.
This is Zyxel to non-zyxel (Cerfnet or World).

sdw

Thread