1993-02-05 - Re: `Sunday Times’ article on GSM changes

Header Data

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
To: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Message Hash: b51c67ff41ced2c8f42792cdda3cb69f64d9e3b997afacea49f93407f438e48f
Message ID: <199302050136.AA14323@misc.glarp.com>
Reply To: <9302042024.AA09970@maggie.shearson.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-05 01:37:15 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Feb 93 17:37:15 PST

Raw message

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 93 17:37:15 PST
To: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Subject: Re: `Sunday Times' article on GSM changes

> Caldwell said the problem with the original system was that it
> would take security services weeks rather than minutes to decode
> the conversations they wanted to bug.  Despite the changes, it will
> be still virtually impossible for any amateur eavesdropper to
> intercept calls made on the digital mobile phones.

The quotes I've heard are more like "any county sherif with a
radiomodem and a pc will be able to tap any conversation in range.

It's probably just as well.  Since end to end encryption is the
only reasonable solution anyway.

brad

Thread