1993-03-12 - Re: HIDE: embedding msgs into snd & graphics

Header Data

From: blojo@sting.Berkeley.EDU (Jon Blow)
To: ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Message Hash: 25b4559f1411079d121caf0e5d619f4a48cee2c266fa118987ccf1ed91cc4984
Message ID: <9303120852.AA03893@sting.Berkeley.EDU>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Mar 93 00:53:27 PST

Raw message

From: blojo@sting.Berkeley.EDU (Jon Blow)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 93 00:53:27 PST
To: ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Subject: Re:  HIDE: embedding msgs into snd & graphics

> I think color images, as opposed to mapped, would be the way to go
> for steganography.  More room, and nobody expects them to compress.

Yeah; but even if we're talking full 24-bit images, we're going to have
problems.  Once 24-bit displays become standard, I really doubt that
there will be many images stored in a non-lossy format.  And once
you try to hide data in a lossy encoding scheme, you run into a
lot (though not all) of the problems you have with colormaps.

It would be a lot easier to hide data in an image if one had a control-image
(the original) as well as the altered-image (the one holding the message),
but this defeats half the niftiness of trying to do things this way.

>    Eli   ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu

    -J.

Thread