1993-03-02 - Re: ideas on an encrypted BSD filesystem (LONG, technical)

Header Data

From: Peter Shipley <shipley@tfs.COM>
To: mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
Message Hash: 314350f53def8a7771767015012bf5283852240f2ee68c8e00f767d9a8c79c3a
Message ID: <9303020025.AA25924@edev0.TFS>
Reply To: <9303020004.AA01774@tramp.cc.utexas.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-02 00:27:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Mar 93 16:27:32 PST

Raw message

From: Peter Shipley <shipley@tfs.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 93 16:27:32 PST
To: mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
Subject: Re: ideas on an encrypted BSD filesystem (LONG, technical)

>Greetings:
>
>I have been working on a few ideas I have to make a BSD system (like a
>386BSD system on a nice fast PC) into a secure base system for a BBS that
>is somewhat "raid-proof".  The basic plan is the encrypt the filesystem and
>use public key encryption to separate the system administrator from the
>information contained within the system and make it harder to do blanket
>searches of computer systems such as those I have seen happen in this area.
>Here is a basic outline of what I plan on doing, any comments would be
>appreciated.

my office mate and I were talking along simular lines, but for DOS. we
were thinking of setting up disk/partition encryption software that works
like the product "stacker" or  "double disk". but instead of just compressing
we encrypt.    When the system boots it will ask for a password phrase, it
you do not provide on the disk will not me accessable  (it will just appear
to be a unformated partition).

Thus when you are raided and they power down your system, they will loose
access to the date.

Thread