1993-03-23 - Re: REMAIL: Anon.penet.fi no

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@snark.shearson.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 34f987369aa94edf3c7e4dfb1235635641c37e669eaea438c2b9ec50278376e6
Message ID: <9303232205.AA07849@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <930323210434_74076.1041_DHJ74-1@CompuServe.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-23 22:55:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Mar 93 14:55:05 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@snark.shearson.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 93 14:55:05 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: REMAIL: Anon.penet.fi no

Hal says:

> This is truly tragic.  Julf has endured weeks of attacks and now The
> Powers That Be have managed to shut down this widely used service.
[...]
> Despite this, I have the impression that most of the objectionable messages
> Johan refers to actually were objected to based on their content.  It's
> not that people were bombarding newsgroups with excessive numbers of messages
,
> it's that they were posting things that (some) people didn't want them to
> post.

Interesting, isn't it, that Ted Tso's nightmare about horrible
libelous or volume-bomb postings didn't come true, but my nightmare
about censorship seems to have.

They've succeeded this time, but I doubt that they will next time...

Perry

Thread