1993-03-01 - Re: Real life pseudonyms (was re: more ideas on anonymity)

Header Data

From: thug@phantom.com (Murdering Thug)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 67495dc0067969467849ce72240765494af8891a29a5ec3a0b10e6788703f5d4
Message ID: <m0nSze4-000jqOC@phantom.com>
Reply To: <9302281619.AA14306@IMSI.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-01 01:58:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Feb 93 17:58:11 PST

Raw message

From: thug@phantom.com (Murdering Thug)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 93 17:58:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Real life pseudonyms (was re: more ideas on anonymity)

Jordon Hayes writes:

> 	From thug@phantom.com Sun Feb 28 10:48:57 1993
>
> 	For instance, can I walk into a U.S. bank, present false ID,
> 	and obtain a checking account to use for legitimate reasons?
>
> Banking and Tax regulations provide solid legal ground for requiring
> banks to verify identity and Tax status in the US.  Answer: no.  By
> definition, there are no "legitimate" reasons for having a checking
> account in this country that is unaccountable.  There are plenty of
> other ways of hiding cash and money transactions without involving the
> US banking system.  They don't want you to do this ...

Yes, I know they don't want me to do this because they don't respect my
privacy.  Not because I am doing anything illegal.  If I pay my taxes on
the money, I should be allowed to stash it anywhere I fucking please.

> 	I'm not stealing any money/products/services from anybody, I'm
> 	only using a pseudonym.
>
> No, you're just avoiding the accountability of your money.  This is
> akin to not reporting income.  It's patently illegal.  You can stand
> down your color PostScript printer now ...

I never said the checking account would be used for tax evasion.  Assuming,
I pay taxes on all my income, I don't see why it should be illegal to
deposit it in a checking account under, let us say, my dogs name. Hell, there
are these old ladies who die and leave all their money to their cats, right?
So I assume the cats must have somekind of bank accounts / trusts.  What if
I want to set up a bank account for my dog? I don't see why that should
be illegal.  I mean if it's a problem with setting up accounts under
non-existant people's identities, one could always use the family pet as
the bank account holder.

Thug

Thread