1993-03-29 - anonymous services

Header Data

From: “Lord Krieg” <CVADSAAV@CSUPomona.Edu>
To: “cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 7e4ea5df15e0662dd9cb218c4cff2b1fc54632ed974ba3adde2bd1deb3c29054
Message ID: <9303290242.AA09702@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Mar 93 18:42:51 PST

Raw message

From: "Lord Krieg" <CVADSAAV@CSUPomona.Edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 93 18:42:51 PST
To: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: anonymous services

After reading Mr. Finney's response to my comments, I can see that I
really shouldn't try to make suggestions on how an anonymous service
should be implemented. I clearly don't have the knowledge necessary to
address this subject without sounding like an idiot. :-)

So... I'll instead simply say what I would like to see in an anonymous
service, and I'll leave discussion of the technicalities to people who
know what they're talking about.

I'd like to see something which combines the strengths of the different
types of anonymous services while reducing or eliminating the weaknesses.

A service which can be used as easily as anon.penet.fi would certainly be
nice. I'd also like to see encryption available as an option. Ideally,
messages would not _have_ to be encrypted. Making encryption optional
would be good for paranoid individuals such as myself, while making the
service more accessible to people who are willing to sacrifice security.
This would also accomodate people within the U.S. who want to use the
service put are afraid of Mr. Sternlight. :-)

I like the way the Cypherpunks Remailers let users chain and encrypt
their messages so that even the remailers can't know both the sender and
recipient. This is something I'd also like to see in a new anonymous
service.

I still think that one or more back-up servers would not be a totally bad
idea. I realize that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I just
don't understand why it would be impossible to have a back-up server
(with a copy of the active server's database) on standby. I'm not saying
that the existence of such a back-up should be advertised--I just think
that it should be possible to have somebody set up a backup _without
actually running it_ so that when the active server gets shut down, it
can quickly step in to take over.

Oh, and on a unrelated subject...
Could anybody with information on $50/month UUNET connections please send
it to me, or tell me who I should write to about it? Thanks in advance.

                            Kenneth G. Hagler

*   Internet: cvadsaav@csupomona.edu    *   My insurance company     *
*   Phone: (909) 865-7751               *     is Beretta U.S.A.      *
*   PGP 2.2 key available on request    *                            *
*   ...study of the military arts will make one who is naturally     *
*   clever more so and one who is born somewhat dull rather less     *
*   so.                                                              *
*            --Daidoji Yuzan Shigesuke, _Budo Shoshinshu_            *

Thread