1993-03-03 - Re: Handling Abuses of Remailers

Header Data

From: fen@genmagic.genmagic.com (Fen Labalme)
To: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Message Hash: c5d64c3ffcaf4f85304e5701ecd6c1ed1cbbf7235b6f1f03dcf9b555222cf590
Message ID: <9303031918.AA00242@>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Mar 93 11:20:06 PST

Raw message

From: fen@genmagic.genmagic.com (Fen Labalme)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 93 11:20:06 PST
To: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Handling Abuses of Remailers

> Re: remailer price schedules
>
> My guess on all this is that you could make an awful lot of money at a
> dime a hop for a less-than-10K message.  Sell hops only in packages
> of a hundred, in order to reduce your finance charges.

Geeez, Eric!  I'd think a penny a hop would be a pretty high price...  And
given that most messages go through two hops, then you'd really be giving
your 2 cents worth!

Note that there can be about 50 cypherpunks messages a day -- if each went
through 2 hops at $0.10 / hop, as you proposed, that would be $10 / day in
revenues for the remailers.  Seems like a lot to me.

I would support the idea if I felt that the system would quiet the flame
wars, but I think rather it would simply quiet the poor...

Fen

Thread