1993-03-11 - HIDE: embedding msgs into snd & graphics

Header Data

From: The Phantom <phantom@u.washington.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c9f28178ca6a347ac53c784cdc3cb78d10f6dd25def4e7f91d7f12fc4d696092
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9303111236.A1583-b100000@stein2.u.washington.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Mar 93 12:42:28 PST

Raw message

From: The Phantom <phantom@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 93 12:42:28 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: HIDE: embedding msgs into snd & graphics

tcmay's comments on the use of DAT tapes to 'dub off' other recordings as
the host-medium and to apply the signal to the low-end significant bits
works out something I brought up earlier: checking the copy against the
original.

The idea of using a DAT tape as a mode of transport, however, doesn't
appeal that greatly to me. To send a message, I have to pull out one of my
prevoiusly recorded DAT host-tapes, then record over the 5th song with my
mix of host/message pair, then fed-ex it (or hand-deliver it) to my
target. If I take this signal and push it across internet, I no longer
have the passive-looking DAT tape in my DAT music collection. Instead, I
have a 900k sound file that I push across the net. Since the net is
usually not used to push the latest Michael Jackson tune, it might raise a
flag.

Tim's comments are valid and definitely help solve problems on the
physical level: now how about cyberspace?

mt

Matt Thomlinson
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
Internet: phantom@u.washington.edu      	    phone: (206) 528-5732
PGP 2.2  key available via email or finger phantom@hardy.u.washington.edu

Thread