1993-03-25 - Re: Many Important Items in the News

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cfb76cb2a356dc965a7dfd674305f3b4dde6a1dadd973853d80cac08e59cd929
Message ID: <9303250523.AA15039@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 21:24:49 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 21:24:49 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Many Important Items in the News

Phil Karn comments on my proposal:

>>(Cypherpunks remailers may want to change the "Nobody" and "Anonymous" tags
>>to names that are less screenable, less susceptible to censorship by
>>ARMM-type programs. Using a rotating list of fictional or historical names
>>may be an approach, but I'm sure we can think of many ways to bypass
>>ARMM-type cancellers.)
>
>I'm not sure I like this idea. In my own discussions with people on
>this issue, I've found that "filterability" (for lack of a better
>term) overcomes *many* (if not all) of the standard objections to
>anonymous email.

A very good point. I was thinking more about the "ARMM"-style attacks and
not so much about the normal filters people might write to keep from seeing
anonymous posts.

So, anything we do to make it hard for a determined attacker (writing
ARMM-style filters), makes it even harder for casual users.

I guess the solution is to discourage global, ARMM-style filters (and
perhaps even look again, as a community, at digital sigs for postings, so
that only the author can cancel them).

-Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: MailSafe and PGP available.

Thread