1993-03-02 - Re: Piercing anonymitiy and censorship

Header Data

From: Theodore Ts’o <tytso@Athena.MIT.EDU>
To: fen@genmagic.genmagic.com
Message Hash: e9d05b59e4097efa81b68ac8ab3338c76326a066751a61159010c9776f9b741e
Message ID: <9303022147.AA02357@SOS>
Reply To: <9303022134.AA27063@>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-02 21:49:11 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Mar 93 13:49:11 PST

Raw message

From: Theodore Ts'o <tytso@Athena.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 93 13:49:11 PST
To: fen@genmagic.genmagic.com
Subject: Re: Piercing anonymitiy and censorship

   Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1993 13:36:13 -0800
   From: fen@genmagic.genmagic.com (Fen Labalme)

   Don't most news readers have "kill files" (sometimes known as "bozo
   filters")?  I definately prefer decentralized solutions.  Anyone mandating
   what I can and cannot read is slime (synonomous with censor), imo.

   I want to make that choice myself, thank you very nice.

I suppose that a kill file of something like ".*@remailer.site" for each
of the remailers would filter out all of the anonymous kill files.  It
still would slow down everyone news reader's, though.

And as a news admin, if someone anonymous user abuses USENET by sending
large GIF's to a newsgroup, this filling up my news spool, I (and each
individual news admin) can make the individual choice to mail each
offending anonymous news posting to the postmaster@remailer.site.
Is that what you meant by a decentralized solution?  :-)

							- Ted

Thread