1993-03-04 - SOCIETY: crypto impact

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ed44579613271fe13ab42932fda56567bd63d19fcc43ae9da90af3ed1f37e02c
Message ID: <9303040018.AA28660@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199303032336.AA26450@Menudo.UH.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-04 00:22:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Mar 93 16:22:08 PST

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 93 16:22:08 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: SOCIETY: crypto impact

>Like any new technology, selling crypto to the public will be
>difficult at first.  I'll bet the telephone, something so vital to
>today's society it is difficult to imagine functioning without it, was
>tough to get going.

For an interesting look at this, see _When Old Technologies Were New_;
I've forgotten the author.  It's about electrification and the
telephone.

And remember, just because there's opposition, it could still be a bad
idea!  :-)  Let's not get too self-congratulatory here.

>On a related note, it is amazing how much information about you
>exists.  [...] Some supermarkets were even testing a
>system in which your purchases (scanned by the bar code reader) are
>saved and indexed by your credit card or check!

It really is unsettling.  There is, in fact, a speculative market in
personal information.  Some of these companies doing supermarket
systems had the collection systems developed, and then went looking
for customers.

Eric

Thread