1993-04-19 - Re: Amiga programmers.

Header Data

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
To: psionic@wam.umd.edu (Haywood J. Blowme)
Message Hash: 00f7fe3256a3f1d0b4d9ac2de96b08dd17597a5f547259cd3a39010e6e9d06d6
Message ID: <9304190003.AA06605@toad.com>
Reply To: <199304182317.AA18599@rac3.wam.umd.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-19 00:03:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 17:03:28 PDT

Raw message

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 17:03:28 PDT
To: psionic@wam.umd.edu (Haywood J. Blowme)
Subject: Re: Amiga programmers.

> The basic idea I think would need the following:
>
> - A sound digitizer
> - High speed modem
> - 68020 or above processor (for speed purposes)
> - Good encryption algorithm (IDEA for example)
>
> Implementing the system would involve using the digitizer to digitize the
> voice. Then processing the sample (in real time) through the encryption
> algorithm and sending the output to the modem for transmission. The process
> would be repeated on the other end.
>
> The problems I see occurring are the following
>
> - Speed of the computer affecting real time encryption
> - Synchronizing the data packets for accurate decryption on the other side.
> - simultaneous I/O on the serial and parallel ports(for modem and digitizer)
> - outputing to speakers on receiving end.
> - having the whole process operate in a full duplex mode (ie. both people
>   can talk at the same time).
>

> I think the majority of functions can be handled by the system libraries and
> outside sources (such as xpkidea.library for encryption).
>
> Does this sound feasible??

From what I gather CELP takes about 10 to 15 MIPS and LPC takes
somewhere under 5 MIPS on DSP chips.  Instructions including
fixed point multiplies and accumulations (not counting divisions).
Thats quite a load for a 68020 to bear and still do encryption
and communications isnt it?

I have been working on an encrypted link protocol,  I have
written a unix end (w/ sockets for debugging) as well as
some prototype amiga ends (nothing nice yet).  It is basically
a term program with an encrypted mode built in.  I have released
the unfinished but operational unix end so far (link.tar.Z)
but have been too pressed for time to work on it lately.

I am also working with a DSP chip and plan to implement LPC
at bandwidths of about 2000 bps.  This will be low quality
(less than toll quality, but "good enough" for..  well for
me :)
I hope the end product will be reproduceable for under $50.
(I am using the ADSP 2105 DSP microcontroller which offers
10 MIPS for about $12)

Someone has mentioned that there is a ZYXEL chip that has
CELP built in to it,  this might be a faster way to go,
does anyone have more details?

I plan to incorporate the two when I am finished to allow
encrypted voice between two endpoints,  and hopefully
also over some networks (were delay time doesnt cause too
much problems,  long distances over packet switching
might not work so nicely).

progress:
  I have developed and implemented the protocol engine of
the link protocol and written a unix end.

  I have started assembling (but not programming) the DSP
board,  I plan later to add on-board d/a and a/d but
for the time being I will be importing samples from the
amiga, and retrieving LPC coded data.

I am encouraging other people to use my protocol engine
and incorporate it into terminal programs.

Thread