1993-04-29 - Re: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

Header Data

From: uri@watson.ibm.com
To: tytso@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Theodore Ts’o)
Message Hash: 2b84d01c59d504ac4124798688c815ef21e80ffb2241c09628f55f7292ba4b46
Message ID: <9304291618.AA21186@buoy.watson.ibm.com>
Reply To: <9304281436.AA05701@pizzabox.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-29 16:24:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 09:24:59 PDT

Raw message

From: uri@watson.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 09:24:59 PDT
To: tytso@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Theodore Ts'o)
Subject: Re: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

Theodore Ts'o writes:
 > Several people from RSA, including Bidzos at the last Cypherpunks
 > meeting at Mountain View (I wasn't there, but take a look at the meeting
 > "minutes"), have stated repeatedly that if someone were to ask for
 > permission to use the internal interfaces of RSAREF in order to write a
 > PGP-compatible program, they would grant permission.

Now - there's a slight distinction between:
	a) write [from scratch] PGP-compatible program;
	b) write RSA engine for [existing] PGP program.

I suspect it's the second, that most people would prefer.

 > However, as of two weeks ago, *NOT* *A* *SINGLE* *PERSON* *HAS* *ASKED*.

Incorrect. I asked for, and recieved, a permission to use
RSAREF internals for modified RIPEM program.    Actually,
nobody but time and efforts preclude me  from adding PGP
capabilities to it...

Of course, whether b) will be granted too, is an open
question.

 > To those of you who have repeatedly said "Cypherpunks write code"
 > (and I applaud that attitude), consider this a challenge.  :-)

Naw...

EeRegards,
Uri.
<Disclaimer>