1993-04-18 - What Clinton’s proposal will mean to the Rest of the World

Header Data

From: R.Tait@bnr.co.uk
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3503f2aaf28d3ea7f8e006902d083548df7da322478d10200f2061e11873d991
Message ID: <199304181446.7907@bnsgs200.bnr.co.uk>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 07:46:56 PDT

Raw message

From: R.Tait@bnr.co.uk
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 07:46:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: What Clinton's proposal will mean to the Rest of the World

Cypherpunkers,

Having just digested the press release, and the subsequent
followups on sci.crypt and on here, I am beginning to wonder what
ramifications this might have in other countries, specifically the
"Superpowers". Surely setting such a precedent in his own country will
spark off a flurry of activity in places such as the UK, Germany,
France et al, so that they are not "left behind", so-to-speak?

To be quite honest, I can't see the English government taking such
radical steps about secure telecommunications, quite simply, because
BT have such a lacsidasical [sp?] approach to new and emerging
technologies. Take for instance, IDSN. Their philosophy of marketing
and "selling" ISDN is laughable - I once read a newspaper article
which related a tale of a Corporation who wanted to learn if ISDN
could be useful to it's business practices, and it seems that BT
just kept jostling them between department (Dept X: "Phone Dept Y",
Dept Y: "Phone Dept X" etc).

Can anyone really see that the US government (or whoever) will
completely outlaw all strong data encryption? This violates the
basic human right of free communications/privacy.

What a world we live in, huh?

--
Rick M. Tait                                Bell Northern Research Europe
Tel: +44-81-945-3352, Fax: +44-81-945-3352     Network Management Systems

Thread