1993-04-21 - Re: Objections…

Header Data

From: Douglas Barnes <wixer!wixer.bga.com!gumby@cactus.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4d9cfad48900af1572bcb589235d4d1741ff689061cf9fa2f07fb4a90483df40
Message ID: <9304210108.AA07845@wixer>
Reply To: <199304201220.AA27725@access.digex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-21 04:11:35 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Apr 93 21:11:35 PDT

Raw message

From: Douglas Barnes <wixer!wixer.bga.com!gumby@cactus.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 93 21:11:35 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Objections...

Peter Wayner writes:

> I think this is the most practical and non-inflamatory argument
> for public access to the algorithm.

Along the same lines, I am left scratching my head about the
"baroque activities in the vault." Surely this is going to
add substantially to the cost of these chips over a system
that uses a known algorithm and non-escrowed keys.

Given that such a system would be cheaper to produce and would
offer stronger security, I think it is not especially
inflamatory to suggest that the government is contemplating
either an outright ban or the strong discouragement of
alternative systems.

-- Doug Barnes
(gumby@wixer.bga.com)

Thread