1993-04-18 - illustrating govt’s preoccupation with terrorism

Header Data

From: jwarren@autodesk.com (Jim Warren)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4ed7a2d2b4912031b005a055aae6506316de279c3c37c3fcdc36a65c0c6ef92c
Message ID: <9304181915.AA01239@megalon.YP.acad>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 12:23:27 PDT

Raw message

From: jwarren@autodesk.com (Jim Warren)
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 12:23:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: illustrating govt's preoccupation with terrorism

This is an excerpt from a LONG msg echoed to me by Dave Farber.  Though it's
from USIA -- not a police/enforcement agency -- it is nonetheless heavily
concerned with "terrorism", the theme repeatedly referenced in the White
House's Clipper Chip announcement.

I've included the first part down through the first article as an example,
and gave only the headlines of the remaining articles -- but you get the
idea.

Just FYI.  [And, no, I don't know where/how Dave got it electronically in the
first place.  :-)  ]
--jim
===============
Posted-Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1993 11:15:04 -0500
From: David Farber <farber@central.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: I hope this continues to be distributed

>UNITED STATES INFORMATION AGENCY
>FOREIGN MEDIA REACTION--DAILY DIGEST
>
>For further information:  Anne Chermak, Chief
>Media Reaction Staff (P/M), Tele. No. (202) 619-6511
>
>Monday, April 12, 1993
>
>                   TERRORISM AND WORLD INSECURITY
>
>In recent editorials, Iran was universally recognized as the source
>of the double threat of state-sponsored terrorism and Islamic
>extremism.  But beyond this fear and condemnation, journalists found
>little common ground that would compel both North and South, and Arab
>and non-Arab nations to work together to combat the global threat of
>terrorism.  For example, Egyptian and Algerian papers were in the
>forefront in charging U.S. complicity in the current instability in
>the Middle East.  Those commentators asserted that the United States
>had promoted Islamic fundamentalism during the Afghanistan War and
>had further added to regional instability by alternately encouraging
>Iraq and Iran.
>
>India's papers weighed the pros and cons of helping the West to
>identify Pakistan's role in promoting terrorism, noting on the one
>hand that doing so could "bring ruination to Islamabad's Kashmir
>cause" but, on the other, could also bring India's security apparatus
>uncomfortably close to the CIA and the Mossad.  Arab papers continued
>to portray Iraq and Libya as being unfairly treated by the UN while
>Israel remains unpunished for resolutions which it has violated.
>
>Concerning Northern Ireland, President Clinton's message of
>consolation to the victims of the Warrington bombing was seen in
>British tabloids as signalling a tougher stance by the American
>government against violence by the IRA.
>

>This survey is based on 32 reports from 10 countries, April 1-12.
>
>EDITOR:  Gail H. Burke

=====

This goes on for many pages with a range of article summaries including:

>                             MIDDLE EAST
>ALGERIA:  "Middle East Equation Has Changed"
>"Injustice Will Not Defeat Dignity"
>"After the Neglect...Wake Up, Washington!"
>"U.S. Did Not Make the Best Choice"
>"Change of Tone"
>EGYPT:  "West Will Not Let Go Of Libya"
>"Can Anybody Explain U.S. Contradictory Posture Regarding Iran?"
>"Who Will Anti-Terrorism Front Target?"
>"Puzzling Approach To Abdel Rahman's Stay In U.S."
>"An Insult To Egyptian People, Leadership"
>"Islamic Extremism Threat Has Links To Afghanistan War"
>JORDAN:  "Call For Arab Unity"
>"Clinton Administration Should Start A New Page with Iraq"
>"Arabs Should Not Support The U.S. Against Iran"
>MOROCCO:  "Something New In Lockerbie Issue?"
>"The West Has To Understand Libya's Flexibility"
>TUNISIA:  "Why The War On Muslims?"

>                             SOUTH ASIA
>INDIA:  "Time To Be Worldly-Wise"
>"War By Other Means"
>"Perils Of Intelligence Links With The CIA And Mossad"
>"Embittering Ties With Pakistan"
>PAKISTAN:  "Another Step Closer"
>"Terrorism In Kashmir"
>                               EUROPE
>BRITAIN:  "Northern Ireland--Significant Gesture By Clinton"
>"Clinton's  Blown To IRA Killers"
>ITALY:  "Enter Iran"
>"The Ayatollah's Latest Threat"
>"Silence Over Israel"
>"Warning to Iran, Islamic Fundamentalism"
>
>                            LATIN AMERICA
>CHILE:  "Iran's Objectives"

Thread